Episode 033: Samiam w/ Sergie Loobkoff
Samiam was formed in late 1988 after the breakup of the Gilman club mainstay Isocracy. Their first show was in January 1989 with Christ on Parade. They released records through New Red Archives and Hopeless Records in the US and Burning Heart Records in Europe. In the mid-’90s, the band had two releases on major labels, Atlantic Records in 1994 and Ignition/Tommy Boy in 1997. This path achieved modest mainstream success; a video for “Capsized” gained a lot of airplay on MTV, they performed on The Jon Stewart Show in 1994 and the single “She Found You” garnered considerable radio play in 1998. The band toured extensively throughout Europe, North America, and Japan with Bad Religion, Green Day, The Toadies, Sense Field, blink-182, and Millencolin.
I got an intro to Sergie from Rob LWL and we set up a late Thursday call in August.
Side note, check out his design work here – slappedtogether.com
Here’s what we talk about:
- His love of the Jersey accent
- Our very long ramble about interviews
- Not having any aspirations to be in a band
- What was the San Francisco scene like
- How he and Jason started Samiam
- Tres Cool being in the band but not being in the band
- What was Samiam’s following like
- What it was like being on a major label
- Their song being on Harvesting the Crust
- What did they write about
- Joining Knapsack
- Touring with At The Drive-In right before they broke up
- And a ton more
Also, check out my webcomic.
Click the links below to listen or search for THIS WAS THE SCENE wherever you podcast
Follow the social